All students are required to submit an online portfolio for review after completion of ARTS 241: Design 1. This review is to ensure that students possess the necessary technical skills and demonstrate an understanding of design principles required by upper division coursework. If the review committee deems a portfolio subpar, students will be put on probation and need to submit a revised portfolio for review before being accepted into ARTS 345: Design 3. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Professor Woo at firstname.lastname@example.org or any other design faculty member.
Spring 2018 Submission Date:
May 30th, 2018
Note: Late submissions will not be accepted and you will automatically be put on probation.
Include at least five projects in your portfolio. Include at least one project from Design 1 and one project from Type 1. Motion, animation and illustration assignments may be included, but photography or drawing projects should not be included. Avoid rote class exercises (i.e. color studies). You may include projects from other classes or projects that you have completed on your own if you believe these projects cover the requirements listed below. Outcomes for the Portfolio Review are final. Final evaluation scores are not subject to appeal.
The projects included in your portfolio should show:
- a solid understanding of scale, form, weight, emphasis, color theory and hierarchy.
- that you grasp the concept of how to use type in a layout as well as how to properly kern, manipulate leading, understand typographic hierarchy and use the right typeface for the content being displayed.
- a foundation in the tools used in the industry, specifically Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- an understanding of how to properly prepare files for print or web.
- a demonstrated ability of how to manipulate and use imagery.
- a clear understanding of concept, creative ideas and research that inspired your work.
Your “Design Philosophy” should include 1-3 sentences on your personal thoughts on design and why you are interested in pursuing design as a career.
Submitting your Portfolio:
- Create an online portfolio using squarespace.com, cargocollective.com or wix.com.
- Upload images of your work and include a description explaining your concept, research and process for each project.
- Go to bit.ly/qc-design-portfolio-review and fill out the form.
- Results of the portfolio review will be emailed via student qmail accounts by June 27, 2018.